BY SHAMAN MOMOH
Out of Luck, a thriller by fast-rising director ‘Niyi Akinmolayan, is set to hit the cinemas on the 4th of December and its official trailer was recently released.
Here are 5 quick things we can tell just from watching the trailer:
- The trailer is dope! Niyi Akinmolayan is slowly becoming the go-to guy for post-production work and it’s clear why that’s so. He comes correct with this trailer with the fast cuts, the rock music feel, and the subtle female voice-over narration. You are never left in doubt that this is a trailer for a thriller.
- Dope casting! Linda Ejiofor, Tope Tedela and Adesua Etomi and some of the bright lights of young Nollywood. Putting them together in a film almost guarantees stellar performances. and when you add old hands like Femi Branch and Jide Kosoko…this should be interesting!
- Production design on point. That meth (?) lab looks convincing. The corridor that leads to it, done in nylon drapes, looks even more convincing. Tope Tedela’s bloodied head also looks real, too. The overall look and feel of the movie suggests that some thinking went into production design. Cool!
- Femi Branch! Femi Branch has played the bad guy one time too many in Nollywood films and not always convincingly. This time though, it looks like he’s going to come correct. Hey, did he bulk up for this role? Those biceps look hella scary. and of course, the voice (slight shivers)!
- Huh, is that a drone shot?! We caught what looks like a drone shot as the trailer opens and leads us into the story world…erm, we are drone-averse and in the name of all that is holy we hope director Akinmolayan kept drone shots to the globally accepted maximum: 1!
A trailer is not a film so we eagerly await the release of the movie so we can find out if the director can tell a convincing thriller story, for quick cuts do not a movie make!
Watch the trailer below: