BY ‘SEGUN ODEJIMI
Hahahahaha… I’m still laughing. This is one funny trailer.
Niyi Akinmolayan (you’ll remember him as Mr. Out of Luck) is back with another attempt at winning our hearts forever.
Will he succeed this time? We’re a premiere away from finding out. But while we wait for the full movie, here are 5 things we learned from the trailer of his new romantic comedy, Meet the In-laws.
Meet the In-laws features Lilian Esoro, Adeniyi Johnson, Dele Odule, Tina Mba, Amaechi Muonagor and more.
- Niyi Akinmolayan is king at cutting trailers. We’re not just learning this anyway. We saw the trailer for Out of Luck and we thought we had a monster of a movie on our hands. However, we left the cinema hall almost as disappointed as a Leicester City fan leaving the Emirates yesterday. The film was a disrespect to the trailer. This Meet the In-laws trailer makes you anticipate. It is very good. Graphics and all. We just hope that by the time we eventually Meet the In-laws, it will be worth it.
- Adeniyi Johnson is a bit underrated. Wait, wait… calm down! I didn’t say he’s Nigeria’s Leonardo DiCaprio. What I mean is he’s actually a bit better than the recognition he gets. Maybe his “Yoruba Nollywood” affiliation is to blame. Who mentioned Toyin Aimakhu at the back?
- No homo, but Dele Odule is still bae. In my books, Odule is the most underrated comic actor in Nigeria. This man is absolutely phenomenal at killing comedies. If there’s something I’m almost certain of, it is that he is the one to watch in this film. Kudos to Akinmolayan for returning him into our consciousness. I wonder why he doesn’t appear in more comedy films these days.
- This looks like a well shot film. Cinematography looks to be on point, shots and all. But, as usual, we will keep our verdict till we see the end product.
- Relatable stories still the way to go in the Nigerian filmmaking business. Who does not love a typical Nigerian story? A boy falls in love with a girl of another tribe and they both have to face obstacles in the form of unwilling parents. Yes, this particular storyline may seem a bit overflogged. But that is the test for Rita Onwurah and Niyi Akinmolayan. Will they pass it?
Watch the trailer below: