BY SEGUN ODEJIMI
The 2015 edition of MTV Africa Music Awards (MAMA) is billed to hold at the Durban International Convention Centre on Saturday July 18, 2015 and if I still know how to count, that is exactly 11 days from today. This year’s edition is sponsored by KwaZulu-Natal in association with Absolut Vodka and in partnership with The City of Durban.
The Nigerian leg of the Road to MAMA was held last weekend and excitement is building up to a crescendo ahead of the D-day. By now, if you are not living in a cave somewhere across the Atlantic, you should know that RnB star Ne-Yo is expected to headline the event.
But what else do you know about the show? Here are 5 things you probably don’t know yet about MAMA 2015.
1. Viacom, organizers of the awards currently have a partnership with Durban, the South African city, that is why the hosting of the show is deeply rooted in SA. At least for now.
2. In addition to US singer Ne-Yo, other big acts expected to perform this year are Bucie, Cassper Nyovest, Davido, Diamond Platnumz & Yemi Alade. This will be the first MAMA appearance for Bucie, Yemi Alade and Cassper Nyovest.
3. July 18, the day of the awards, is a very significant date in South African history as it is the birthday of African icon Nelson Mandela.
4. Award for Artist of the Decade will be given out this year “in line with the MAMA 2015 ‘evolution’ theme and VIMN Africa‘s 10-year celebration.”
5. The Best New Act category is sponsored by Absolut Vodka. Anna Joyce (Angola), Cassper Nyovest (South Africa), Duncan (South Africa), Patoranking (Nigeria) and Stonebwoy (Ghana) have all been nominated in this
mouth-watering category. Erm, there you have it guys! Another reason for you to… never mind.