By Tomilola Coco Adeyemo
Of course, you must have watched Genevieve Nnaji and Kunle Afolayan on ‘In Conversation With…’ already.
Watch HERE if you haven’t.
The two Nollywood stars were in the spotlight at the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) where they discussed Nollywood; its triumphs, its challenges and its influences.
Both have been in the business for so long and this highly reflects in their conversation.
However, I could not have been the only one who noticed how refined Genevieve Nnaji was and how witty her responses were.
Probably one of the few Nollywood stars to literally take the shine away from everyone during an Interview, Genevieve stunned even without trying too much.
And you wonder why she is crowned Queen?
Here are seven times Ms Nnaji showed us she came to slay.
- The very moment she walked in on stage: At 1:56 she raises her cup and points to it, while laughing into the audience. She says, “This is water” as if to say, ‘just in case y’all were wondering’. And that warmed us all to her even before she took her seat! You know, like she’s our bestie or something.
- At 15:56 while talking about how she started escaping into her own make believe world as an Actress, she says “And I had a lot of practice in my little home that I built for myself with my Lesson Teacher’s blackboard and my mom’s very precious wrappers but you know I had my friends, you know a group of them and I only found out later that they were in my head” Now if that isn’t hilarious what is?
- At 18:18 the Queen herself says she likes to take orders! Say what? Nah, couldn’t believe that until I ‘rewatched’. Ugh, she’s not just a slayer, she’s humble too. Not a diva on set and willing to be directed by the Director in charge. No, this Genny love isn’t going away.
- Genevieve Nnaji is happy to be a part of Nollywood and she’s not hungry for Hollywood. At 29:49, the Queen says she is happy just being in Nollywood, something she reiterates later in the conversation, confirming to us her loyalty has always been here and would remain here. #BowDownBitches #OurQueenIsNeverLeavingUs
- She is just like us! In the 30:52 minutes, Ms Nnaji says how excited she gets when she spots Lagos in a Hollywood movie. You know, kinda like the rest of us when we get giddy seeing our Lasgidi being represented (well) to the rest of the world. Feels good to know she feels what we feel!
- She told them! She literally went there! The Actress told the world that we don’t appreciate our accents being ridiculed or made to sound like something funny when she says “You cannot get anyone who is not a Nigerian to sound like a Nigerian” at 31:20. Now tell them Genny! Here’s looking at you, Will Smith!
- She explained to Somkele Inyama in a way only she could have when differentiating seeking approval and actually getting gains for Nollywood’s hardwork. And you know I literally died when she said, “…at the end of the day, it is pointless to spend that much money on like you said work, work, work, if there is no money coming back, back, back”
Ugh, Slay Queen!!
Relive the moments again below…