Nollywood actress, Mercy Johnson Okojie has not been spared controversies since she came into the limelight with the popular 2004 movie, The Maid. Ranging from husband snatching accusations to abortion and theft rumors, it looks like she has seen it all.
The actress who is a year older today had very eventful early years in the industry.
Below is a list of the top ten controversies the actress has courted.
- In 2009 Mercy was accused of stealing $4000 from a certain Mr Isaac Izoya who was said to have hosted her during her trip to Europe. The man later took back his claims and the talk faded.
- She was accused of causing a rift between Ini Edo and Uche Jombo by peddling bad talk about both actresses to each other.
- In 2010, she had a big fight with veteran actress Patience Ozokwor because Patience called her a prostitute. According to NET, Patience Ozokwor was given a revealing costume to wear on that location, apparently to depict a character in the movie that was in the making and Patience allegedly refused the outfit, stating that she is not Mercy Johnson, not an ‘ashawo’. Mercy then accosted the actress when she did not stop calling her the unpleasant name.
- The actress allegedly revealed during an interview that she started acting because of the nice body she has. According to her, she approached a friend for assistance with getting into the movie industry and he stared at her breasts and hips and told her she would make a good actress. Many people said she used the body to her full advantage.. (Don’t ask us how).
- Until she got married, her dressing was a topic of discussion as she was famous for wearing very revealing clothes and never failed to show off her voluptuous body at every chance she got.
- A few years ago she was also accused of aborting a pregnancy she had for one Mr Obi.
- She was accused of having an affair with a married man, a marketer called Victus. Victus’s wife was said to have caught them during an unfortunate rendezvous at the man’s shop in the popular film market- Alaba, Lagos and Mercy was reportedly beaten blue black and disgraced in the market.
- In 2011, a woman called Lovely who claimed to be her husband, Prince Okojie’s wife came out some months before the wedding to raise the alarm that Mercy Johnson was about to get married to a man that wasn’t legally divorced. The wedding went on as planned and Lovely eventually stopped talking about it.
Mercy Johnson has always emphasized how much marriage has changed her and we can see the changes.
Happy birthday Mama Purity.