BY ADEDIWURA OKELEYE
Did you know that the popular Hollywood sign located on the southern side of Mount Lee in Griffith Park in Los Angeles, California was originally Hollywoodland?
The Hollywoodland sign was constructed in 1923 at a cost of $21,000 to advertise real estate in the hills above the Hollywood district of Los Angeles.
The sign became very dilapidated in 1970 and was nearly torn down save for the intervention of the district inhabitants who asked for the sign to be refurbished instead. The sign was then shortened to Hollywood.
The new sign was unveiled in November 1978 after nine people donated $27,777.77 each ($250,000 in total) to restore each letter of the sign. According to Wikipedia, the donors were:
H: Terrence Donnelly (publisher of the Hollywood Independent Newspaper)
O: Giovanni Mazza (Italian movie producer)
L: Les Kelley (founder of the Kelley Blue Book)
L: Gene Autry (actor)
Y: Hugh Hefner (founder of Playboy)
W: Andy Williams (singer)
O: Warner Bros. Records
O: Alice Cooper (singer), who donated in memory of close friend and comedian Groucho Marx, and who joked that he would also donate an “O” from his last name.
D: Dennis Lidtke (businessman) donated in the name of Matthew Williams
Another refurbishing project was executed in November 2005 by Bay Cal Commercial Painting.