BY ADEDIWURA OKELEYE
Today is Nollywood actress Kate Henshaw‘s birthday and here are seven facts about the beautiful actress who has graced our screens for over two decades.
- Offiong Kate Henshaw was born on July 19, 1971 in Calabar, Cross Rivers state, Nigeria. She is the first of four children.
- She has a degree in Medical Microbiology from the School of Medical Laboratory Science, Lagos University Teaching Hospital.
- She started acting in 1993 and her first feature film was When The Sun Sets. She has featured in several other movies, stage plays and series like Domitilla, Negative Influence, The Legend, The Stolen Bible, The Substitute, Wanted At All Cost, Adam and Eve, Ghetto Love, The Meeting, A New Dawn, Love Entangle, Do Good, Games Men Play, Love, Sex and Marriage, Iquo’s Journal, Hear Word among others.
- She is a talented actress who has won several awards including the Best Actress in a Lead Role award at the 2008 Africa Movie Academy Awards (AMAA) for her role in Stronger Than Pain and the Best Actress award at the 2015 ZAFAA awards for her role in Iquo’s Journal.
- She has a 16- year-old daughter, Gabrielle Nuttal from her marriage to Roderick James Nuttal that ended in 2011 after 12 years of marriage.
- She once ran for a political post. She vied for a seat in the Federal House of Representatives under the umbrella of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) to represent Calabar South Federal Constituency in the 2015 general elections.
- She is a strong advocate for gender equality and against domestic violence. The actress granted an interview some years ago where she revealed she was in an abusive relationship for about four years and nearly died at some point. She has also worked with several NGOs to help the less privileged in the society.
Read her birthday message to herself below.
Happy birthday Kate Henshaw!