BY ESE DIBEBI
Today, April 29 is award-winning filmmaker, Mildred Okwo‘s birthday.
The CEO and co-founder of The Audrey Silva Company is regarded by many in the industry as outspoken, honest and an individual whose experience is not to be joked with.
Here are a few facts you may bot not about the Suru’Lere director.
- Mildred studied Theatre Arts/Theatre Management at the University of Benin, Nigeria before proceeding to Whittier Law School, Orange County, California, USA to study Law.
- In 2006, after her return to Nigeria, Ms. Okwo wrote, co-produced and directed 30 Days – a star-studded film which featured Joke Silva, Najite Dede, Genevieve Nnaji, Segun Arinze, Norbert Young and more.
- 30 Days which was released in the US on April 30, 2006 received 10 nominations at the 2008 Africa Movie Academy Awards including Best Art Direction, Best ScreenPlay, Best Cinematography and Best Picture.
- Mildred Okwo is one of the co-founders of the Nigerian Oscars Selection Committee (NOSC), a committee which has been approved by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) to screen Nigerian films to be submitted for the Best Foreign Language Film category at the Academy Awards.
- Apart from being a filmmaker, Okwo also manages artists. Rita Dominic, Kate Henshaw and Femi Jacobs are among them.