By Tomilola Coco Adeyemo
If you watch Nollywood, you must know Mr Ibu.
One of the most sought after Actors in Nollywood, John Okafor has managed to remain relevant decades after he started his career.
And while you may not be a fan of ‘Asaba Nollywood’, know that this guy’s face sells thousands of DVDs.
Here are the probable reasons:
- He basks in his ‘professional idiocy’ – According to reports, Mr Ibu once thanked God for being a “professional idiot”. He knows his style and he plays it effortlessly well.
- He is consistent – Now that Asaba Nollywood is not a thing anymore, most people prefer going to the big screens to watch Nollywood. However, this guy does not want to be your “new Nollywood” guy. He does not want to be smooth or cool or be your next RMD. He is what he is and is consistent at it.
- He’s an OG in his brand of comedy – Really, seen anyone else doing that type that well? No? Exactly.
- He knows his audience – In a day and age where many Actors and Actresses forget where their audiences truly lay and what they want, Mr Ibu has found his and constantly feeds them what they want. And you wonder why he is making bank?
- There is Mr Ibu and there is John Okafor – The fact that John Okafor knows when to be Mr Ibu and when to be John Okafor is another gift the Star Actor owns. It is why people like me are in awe of him; he knows when and how well to wear his character.
John Okafor turns a year older today and while celebrating him, we cannot help but celebrate his talents and his professionalism.
Because without John Okafor, there is no Mr Ibu.