BY ESE DIBEBI
Lupita Nyong‘o started out in the film industry as a production assistant on several Hollywood films. In 2008, she made her acting debut with the short film East River and subsequently returned to Kenya to star in the television series Shuga (2009). In 2009, she wrote, produced and directed the documentary In My Genes.
Lupita celebrated her 33rd birthday yesterday Tuesday lead-starring in Broadway’s “Eclipsed“.
Below are 10 of Oscar winner’s most memorable quotes.
1) “It’s only when you risk failure that you discover things. When you play it safe, you’re not expressing the utmost of your human experience.”
2) “Personally, I don’t ever want to depend on makeup to feel beautiful.”
3) “In the madness, you have to find calm.”
4) “Part of being an artist is that you are always concerned you don’t have what it takes. It… keeps us honest.”
5) “I discovered that joy is not the negation of pain, but rather acknowledging the presence of pain and feeling happiness in spite of it.”
6) “I feel privileged that people are looking up to me, and perhaps a dream will be born because of my presence.”
7) “As human beings, what makes us able to empathize with people is a connection that is not necessarily understood mentally.”
8) “Human beings have an instinct for freedom.”
9) “I thrive on structure. I find my freedom in structure.”
10) “I would love to have a career that’s governed by the material; I always want to be part of stories that I feel are worthwhile.”